Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sign of Spring

White Trout Lilies, Erythronium albidum
It is my favorite time of year when the trout lilies are starting to bloom. They are a rare wildflower due to their habitat preference and long propagation time; however, they are earlier bloomers and often considered a herald of spring. Although I have written an in-depth post about them already, today seemed a good day to revisit the topic, with some more photos of their blooming, and a reminder about the post linked above where you can read more information.

Leaf litter may hide them as they bloom, but they are there if you look!
Next week and perhaps the week after I plan to focus my posts on birds. To make it interesting, I hope to do an identification game similar to last year with the bark on Google+, except instead of pictures, I'll post the bird call and allow for guessing. The songs will be posted on Monday and Wednesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment