Sunday, August 30, 2026

Eating Local


Sweet grass syrup and blueberry sauce.

Long ago, in elementary school, I tried to make bread from foraged grass. I took the feathery tops, smashed them on a rock, mixed it with water and a little dirt, and let it cook in the hot Texas sun. It was much more interesting than whatever sports game was going on nearby for whichever sibling.

No, it did not make bread, but it is my earliest memory of wanting to know what grows around me. While serious foraging didn't start until my college years, I've wanted to know all the plants and wildlife of the land I was living on. This is where, in my opinion, the foraging community still needs work because truly, who will we learn from better than the tribes and nations who lived here for eons?

Bison meatballs with blueberry sauce.

So when it comes to foraging recipes, my first stop is usually one (or many) of the cookbooks I've collected of Native American recipes. I think one reason for my delay to truly get into foraging is the information was so limited. During those years, I had to rely on some gems like Delena Tull for a smattering of ideas of turning foragables into something unique. Thankfully, since then, we've had voices like Sean Sherman breakthrough and open the way for many more.

All of which to say, when a friend has a million blueberry bushes, and you have more than you can eat raw before they start looking a little sad, you need ideas. 

1. Blueberries, Vaccinium sp. (information)

There are many varieties of blueberries. Of all plants out there, this genus is one of the safest to eat as there is only a single known toxic blueberry: in the cloud forests of South America. There is a story involved here from my old botany professor, of a colleague trapped overnight, consuming some blueberries as, before that moment, it was considered the safest plant to consume. Nature can always surprise us, though, even those who make a living identifying plants. Yes he lived, but the night was supposedly incredibly unpleasant as they waited for rescue.

Sakari Farms and A Feather And A Fork cookbook.

A recipe posted by Crystal Wahpepah long ago has always intrigued me: bison meatballs with blueberry sauce. She recently came out with a cookbook and stated that this recipe is her most requested, and after having made it, I can absolutely see why. My only two changes were to keep the sauce chunky, and to mix in some of the purchased blueberry hot sauce into what I made for a bit of heat.

But the recipe itself is also very intriguing in the ingredients: blue cornmeal, cedar salt, bison, and blueberries. All items that can be found or gathered from the land I live on. Of course, I am not going to be hunting bison, but you can find it for sale here. Bonus for the times? Bison meat doesn't get imported. The smoked cedar salt was tempting to make for myself, but similar to the blue cornmeal, I decide to outsource it and find a place to purchase it that also supported those I want to support.

Navajo Tea, Ch’ilgohwéhí’deí.

No this is not a sponsored post. Again, I write for myself and secondarily for those who want to read along. This is for me to remember down the road, on the chance I forget, of Sakari Farms. The nice thing is, I don't always have to forage for myself. The smoked cedar salt purchase supports a farm with products I want to see more of, and people who have the knowledge of these plants. I can try other plants I may have a harder time of getting such Navajo Tea, a lovely and important plant, which was refreshing and reminiscences of chamomile tea.

All of which to say, this is one of the ways I choose to eat local. These are the cuisines that support local and are good for the environment. I'm certain I'll post future recipes and purchases that help me satisfy the curiosity I have for the place where I live.


No comments:

Post a Comment